It's been a busy time at Chilly Water Farm. Last week my daughter was finally able to find two Nubian kids and for me it was certainly "love at first sight". The first two are brother and sister, three week old twins named Hannah and Hanes. A few days after getting them, she was able to buy one more. His name is Macon and he is four weeks old. Since he was a single birth he is much larger and already has horns about two inches long. He was taken from his mother just before we got him, so he is going to require a little taming and he was not so sure about the bottle at first. All three now love the bottle and fight to see who can drink the most. The Nubian breed is known for being very sweet and gentle, good for milking and meat. If you have never been around baby goats you have missed a treat, their eyes almost look human and they love to be cuddled. I can not imagine eating these cute little things but someone will I am sure. I keep telling myself they are not pets.
Today brought another new baby to the farm. Rose is now the mama of a beautiful, little, black calf. Since we have not touch it, we can only speculate about the sex but from a distance it certainly does appear to be a girl. The birth was just amazing! First there was one little hoof popping out and then you could see the tongue and face. I photographed the entire process and still can not believe how smoothly everything went. She entered this world at 9 am and was walking around by 9:15. Rose is an excellent mother and it looks like Boyer is going to be a great playmate. He was right there in the way watching but Rose never appeared to be bother by his presence. We are so lucky to have two healthy calves and cross our fingers for Kelly's baby due in April. There is something about having new babies on the farm that makes it seem like spring. I hope I am not being too hopeful but with the time changing this weekend let's just pretend it is here.
Can't wait to get there and see all the new little ones. I know I will NOT want to leave!! As usual!
ReplyDelete